Patrick Dunn shares some of his ideas in a series of six videos for the Elucidat blog.
- Overlapping skills: A graphic designers should be able to edit a text.
- Collaborative working: Stakeholders can make real-time comments and edits.
- Flexible development process: Cut down content documentation. This should be written directly into the tool your using.
- Appropriate culture: Rapid elearning development requires a culture of tolerance, openness and flexibility.
- Cut your documentation and content in half.
- Use a suite of connected or integrated technologies.
- Select the right type of person for the job.
- Simplify the process.
Patrick produced a model called “CREAM” to make sure his learning engages people. This is what CREAM stands for:
- C is Control: Learners need to feel that they are in control.
- R is Relevance: Keep your content up to date.
- E is Emotion: Tap into the learner’s emotions through storytelling.
- A is Action: Set up learners up in decision-making situations so they have to take rather than a more passive approach.
- M is Multimedia: Use a variety of multimedia to create a multi-sensory learning environment.
- True mobile learning is simple, direct, and functional.
- More focus on action and doing, rather than a tremendous amount of content.
- Mobile learning is more about interaction design and experience design. Again, less focus on large content and text.
- With advances in authoring technologies, any elearning designer can create quality elearning scenarios
- Why is scenario based learning effective?
- Learners are driven by goals
- Stories are an engaging way to tie information together
- Take action – learners make decisions and see consequences
The 3 rules:
- Do it soon: Produce a prototype quickly. Within a few days, not weeks.
- Do it rough: Don’t be worried if there are a few mistakes and rough edges in the prototype. This can be a good thing.
- Do it often. This gives you the ability to work with your stakeholders progressively so they know what they’re getting.
Latest posts by Steve Penfold (see all)
- 10 Elearning Authoring Tools: Comparison and Review - January 28, 2020
- Announcing Elucidat’s global expansion with US office - October 30, 2019
- Elucidat certified as Preferred Provider by Brandon Hall Group - September 26, 2019